Our Blessings

Our Blessings

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

We Are Here!

Last night I did the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life. Getting into my car and smiling as I waved goodbye to Harlie broke my heart. We no sooner made it out of the driveway, and the sobbing began. Poor Vince. I know he is just as broken as I am, but he is the glue that God uses to hold me together at times like this. I know that we are doing what is best for her. I know that she is far better off in the upstate and that Grannie, Papa, my Wren Family, friends, and neighbors will take excellent care of her. I know that she will be loved. I know that she will be happy. I still fight the part of me that selfishly wants her here with us.
One thing I am glad of is that we made the decision to give Harlie her own special phone for calling us whenever she wanted to talk. She and I spoke about 10 or 15 times during our drive down. Yes, we had to discuss very important issues like packing lunch and going to sleep with her hair wet. I listened to her work on her homework and it did make things a little easier. Being able to answer questions and hear her doing her thing helped me realize that she is nowhere near as broken by this as I am. She is confident and amazingly understands, by the grace of God, that we do not want to be doing this. 
We are so blessed to have such a wonderful support system in place. I cannot imagine what it would be like if we did not have the family and friends we do praying and offering support from every area of our lives. 
When we arrived here we were greeted with smiles and hugs by our new "Charleston Family." Dossie and several of the house guests were here and ready to lend a hand getting our things unloaded and into our room. The house we are staying in is very nice. We are here with two other families who have children receiving treatment at MUSC. I don't want to share much about their situations because I respect their privacy. I will say though that it is amazing to be able to walk into a situation like this and be surrounded by people who know the emotions that you are feeling. We bonded immediately. I feel like I have known our new friends for years and we have only spoken for a few minutes. 
An added bonus was the giant Clemson Tiger paw and GO TIGERS! painted on the wall of our room. It brought smiles and laughs when Dossie uncovered it. Evidently some of the practical jokers from her church who did the painting in our room are Clemson fans and enjoyed a little extra fun in adding this piece of art to our room, which is otherwise "Charleston" themed. They had no idea that we are Tiger fans and that even my classroom decor is Clemson. Some may see this as silly, but I see it as a small way that God is reminding me that He is in control of even the most minor details of this whole situation. Can you imagine if we had walked in to a giant Gamecock on the wall? Boy, wouldn't that have been a let down... ;) I am just kidding Gamecock fans. You know I love you! I am just glad to find some lighthearted fun in the midst of such a difficult time in our life.
I am so grateful to the volunteers at CrossBridge for their support. Having a place to go and people to pray and support us down here is amazing!
This morning, as I have for the past few weeks, I cannot sleep. I am sure Mac is preparing me for his early morning times that we are going to share together. I can't wait! I look forward to those precious moments when the two of us get to snuggle up together and rock. I can't wait to hold him in my arms and touch his sweet little face. The anticipation of his arrival has been somewhat clouded with the prospect of surgery, but I know that God is in control, so I wait with anticipation for my prayers and the prayers of many of you to be answered. I wait to be able to share his story of how God healed this precious baby boy. I wait to be able to take him home and be a family of four! 
Please continue to pray for our family's spiritual, emotional, mental, and physical health as we continue to walk in faith. Please pray specifically for Mac's healing and that we will be able to take our healthy baby boy home from Charleston soon so that he can meet all of you! We appreciate all of the prayers more than you know. We feel the peace of the Holy Spirit as we are lifted up by each of you. Your words of encouragement also mean so much. We love you all and are praying for you too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment