Our Blessings

Our Blessings

Monday, July 29, 2013

Precious Moments

Each night bedtime is a special time at our house. Unlike many families we choose to  snuggle our girl to sleep at night. Those times lying there after bedtime prayers are often filled with some of the best conversations with her. I had to share last night's conversation if for no other reason than to help myself remember. 
One of the biggest struggles I am having as we prepare for our trip to MUSC is leaving Harlie behind. I know that this is the best situation for her, and I am so grateful that my parents are turning their lives upside down to be there for her when she needs them most. I know that my WES family will take extra good care of her at school, and she will be able to continue her life as much like normal as possible. I just think of the little things like our times talking at bedtime and it breaks my heart. 
Last night as we were lying there I told her that I sure was going to miss these times while we were in Charleston. She told me that she was going to miss it to. I reminded her that Grannie would be taking over my snuggling duties. She said, "If I change my sheets I think Papa will like my bed." I asked her were she was going to sleep, and she replied, "I will sleep in your bed with Grannie. It won't smell like you guys though." Our daughter has a nose like no other. She is always telling us about the smells she connects with places and people. We talked for a few minutes about our plan for her to be traveling down for the important days like the day he is born and his surgery. We then talked a little abut her weekend visits after surgery. She seemed to be ok with a few days here and a few days there.
Then she said, "Mommy I am nervous." I was expecting her to tell me that she didn't want us to leave her and that she was nervous about staying here with Grannie and Papa. I was not prepared for what she said next. "I am nervous that I won't get to see and hold my baby brother. I want to see him and hold him." 
I reminded her that we are going to do everything in our power to see to it that she gets to see Mac as soon as he is born and that we will do our best to get the nurses to let her hold him. We reminded her that it is out of our control because the nurses have to do what is best for Mac.
As much as I try to prepare her and ensure that she is comfortable with the arrangements we are making, she never ceases to amaze me with the things that matter most to her. I am so proud of the young lady that she is. Mac is blessed to have a big sister who is already in love with him. A big sister who prays for his healing multiple times throughout the day every day. Vince and I are so blessed to have such a thoughtful caring little lady. 
I love that beautiful girl! 

No comments:

Post a Comment