Our Blessings

Our Blessings

Monday, May 13, 2013

No More Training Wheels

                                                 
When Harlie was learning to walk she held tightly to our hands and would not let go. She was not sure that she was ready, so she clung for dear life. As her first birthday approached I wondered if she would ever find the confidence in herself to let go and take those first steps. A few weeks after her first birthday she found that confidence and courage. She was not willing to fall. She was determined to hold on until she knew she had it on her own.

The same has been true with riding a bike. A few years ago she was interested in trying it out, but changed her mind after a scary ride down a long hill with mommy and daddy chasing behind. After that day she would not go fast enough to maintain her balance. I worried about her not being able to ride, but knew that the day would come when she would find that confidence in herself. Today was the day!

As we were riding home from school chatting about our day, I mentioned our family taking a walk in the neighborhood to enjoy the beautiful weather. I asked her if she would like to ride her bike. She said, "That's what I was thinking." Then she said something that I wasn't expecting. "You know, I think I am the only one in my class who can't ride my bike without training wheels." Then she said, "Caden can ride his bike without training wheels. If he can do it so can I. He is smaller than me." 

When we got home we pulled out the bike and headed for the church parking lot. Then just like the day she took her first steps, she rode that little bicycle without training wheels across the lot. She is practicing turns and growing more confident with every pass. I am so proud of her for finally conquering this fear. 

                                                  


1 comment:

  1. Way t0 go, Harlie!!!! I'm so proud of you. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete