Our Blessings

Our Blessings

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Game Plan

Four weeks ago I was welcoming our precious baby boy into this world. I was anxious to find out God's plan for his life. I was worried about how his little heart would handle being on it's own in this world. Four weeks later I find myself still waiting for more answers, but grateful for the four weeks I have spent snuggling and loving on my little miracle. 
Today I met with Dr. Atz. He is one of the cardiologists here. He said that yesterday during their meeting they finally decided on a plan. This is the consensus of the surgeons and cardiologists who put their heads together to determine the best plan.
I spent yesterday in prayer and preparing for what the potential plans could be. I was not at all ready for what he had to share. Early on one of the options for surgery was the hypo plastic surgery series. We thought that these procedures had been ruled out, so I had forgotten about them and focused on the plan for repair. Needless to say my own heart skipped a beat when he told me that we are planning to go the single ventrical route. This was our worst case scenario plan, so I was not happy to hear this news. 
After an afternoon to digest this information I am beginning to see the blessings that lie in this situation. This plan is a 3 phase plan. We will have the first surgery very soon. Our first surgery will not be the traditional hypo plastic surgery. We will be able to skip that one. The second and third are described below. Our first surgery will be the PA Band procedure they had discussed before. 
Please pray that Mac continues to take his food orally and gains weight. We also ask for God's hand to guide the surgeons, and for rapid healing after surgery. We also ask you to pray for the rest of our family as we adjust to our new normal. 

Surgical Summary

The Norwood procedure makes the artery to the body bigger and moves it to the right side.  Mac's heart already has this done, which is kind of a blessing. 
The 2nd surgery takes the upper main vessel coming into the heart (from the body)  and attaches it to the arteries going to the lungs, and opens a hole between the two upper chambers. 
The final surgery takes the lower main vessel coming into the heart (from the body) and attaches it to the arteries going to the lungs, thus blood coming from the body goes straight to the lungs and not into the heart at all.  The heart only pumps from the lungs out into the body. 

Thank you for your continued prayers. We need them and feel them! We love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment